Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 10:42 a.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 8, at 09:38 AM, Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a report of an apartment fire in the 5100 Block of South Regal Street.
Prior to the first units arriving 911 dispatch advised that callers were reporting children jumping from a window. The first fire company arrived in less than six minutes and reported smoke and fire from windows of a 3rd floor apartment. Two children and an adult were found out of the apartment. A second alarm was requested by on scene crews to ensure adequate resources available for life safety and extinguishment. Over 50 firefighters from Spokane, District 8, District 9 and Spokane Valley worked to contain the fire to the apartment of origin and the attic. Crews searched the fire apartment and adjacent units and found all occupants out safely. The fire was well under control in less than 30 minutes.
One minor victim was transported by AMR with non-life threatening injuries.
Red Cross is assisting residents impacted by the fire. In addition to the apartment of origin, four other units were damaged by smoke or water.
Spokane Fire Department Investigative Unit determined the origin of the fire to be the live Christmas tree. The cause was accidental from a flame source too close to the tree.
Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.
Here are some simple Christmas Tree Safety tips that the Spokane Fire Department would like everyone to remember:
To learn more visit: ChristmasTreeSafetyTips.ashx (nfpa.org)