City of Spokane

Spokane Municipal Code

Title 04
Chapter 04.04
Section 04.04.020

Title 04 Administrative Agencies and Procedures

Chapter 04.04 Special Administrative Procedures – Licensing

Section 04.04.020 Activities Requiring Registrations and Licenses
  1. A person, including principals and agents, needs a current and valid license issued under this chapter to begin or to continue, directly or indirectly, any activity provided for in Division II of Title 10 SMC, whether as a commercial business or for nonprofit or charitable purposes.
  1. Persons pursuing ordinary vocations and businesses on private property by private means need a class I license and registration, for such activities as:
  1. peddling merchandise, and
  1. solicitation of money or things of value.
  1. Persons conducting activities which have a potential to cause social or economic evil, or useful occupations which may under certain circumstances become a public or private nuisance offensive or dangerous to health, safety, morals, or good order, need a class II license for such activities as:
  1. maintaining places and devices of amusement, including teen clubs, cabarets, and entertainment facilities;
  1. keeping of animals;
  1. building relocation;
  1. certain contracting;
  1. commercial use and sale of fireworks;
  1. private or special police;
  1. dealing in used goods;
  1. operating for-hire vehicles
  1. Persons claiming a private right in or making extraordinary use of public property need a class III license for such activities as:
  1. moving buildings;
  1. operating cable television;
  1. certain contracting;
  1. collecting garbage or commercial recyclables (SMC 13.02.0204);
  1. distributing natural gas;
  1. maintaining mechanical newspaper vendors;
  1. operating telephone and telegraph equipment;
  1. operating sidewalk cafes; and
  1. doing commercial tree work.

Date Passed: Monday, June 6, 2022

Effective Date: Friday, July 22, 2022

ORD C36203 Section 10