City of Spokane

Spokane Municipal Code

***Note: Many local criminal codes can now be located under Chapter 10.60 SMC while others are now cited under the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), which was incorporated into the municipal code in 2022. (See SMC 10.58.010). Code Enforcement, including Noise Control and Animal Regulations are located in Chapters 10.62 through 10.74.

Title 10
Chapter 10.40
Section 10.40.010

Title 10 Regulation of Activities

Division II. License Code

Chapter 10.40 Itinerant Vendors

Section 10.40.010 Itinerant Vendor Designation & Permit - When Required

A regular or temporary business issued a registration under chapter 8.01 SMC must obtain a separate “itinerant vendor” permit from the City of Spokane taxes and licenses division under any of the following circumstances:

  1. Where the person is engaged in the business of selling or delivering goods or services within the City from a fixed or temporary location as an itinerant vendor, except those vendors operating under the provisions of chapter 10.51 SMC Mobile Food Vending shall not be considered itinerant vendors.

    1. Examples are people selling prepackaged food or wares from roving vehicles in the streets, except mobile food vendors. (Cross Reference: SMC 8.01.220 and chapter 10.51 SMC.).

  2. Where the person travels from door to door as the principle means of conducting business offering, exposing for sale, or selling within the City any goods, merchandise, service or product.

  3. Where the person engages in any business in the City with no permanent location. (Cross Reference: SMC 8.01.070).

  4. A person who engages in constitutionally protected expressive activities in the public right-of-way shall not be required to obtain a business registration unless the person engages in business activities. Constitutionally protected expressive activities conducted in the public right-of-way shall include, but is not limited to, street performers. For the purposes of this section, a street performer means an individual, including street musicians, who performs any form of artistic expression. The voluntary contribution of money or other items of value by members of the public to the individual in association with the expressive activity shall not result in the requirement of obtaining a business registration. A person who engages in constitutionally protected expressive activities in the public right-of-way must still comply with all other regulations regarding conduct in the public right-of-way.

Date Passed: Monday, June 23, 2014

Effective Date: Friday, August 8, 2014

ORD C35097 Section 2