Rules of the River
- All persons using watercraft (including inner tubes and pool toys) on the Spokane River MUST wear a USCG-approved personal flotation device. (SMC 16A.60.040)
- No person shall use a watercraft while under the influence of drugs or alcohol (SMC 16A.60.080)
- Littering is prohibited on all waterways within the City of Spokane (SMC 16A.60.130)
- Except for the section of the Spokane River east of Upriver Dam, motorboats and personal watercraft are prohibited on all bodies of water inside the City of Spokane (SMC 16A.60.020)
- Swimming and boating are not allowed in the Spokane River between the west lines of the Division Street bridge and the Monroe Street bridge (SMC 16A.60.030)
Enforcement of these rules and the full Rules of the River, as seen is SMC 16A.60, has been granted to the Spokane County Sheriff's Office as well as the Spokane Police Department. Violators are subject to receive a class 4 civil infraction and accompanying fine.