Residential Building Review

Planning & Development reviews new construction, additions, interior remodeling, fencing and demolition of single-family, duplex family houses and/or accessory buildings.

Before submitting an application:

  • Determine if you live in the City of Spokane or Spokane County:
    • When your mailing address includes the name of Spokane as your city, it does not necessarily mean that your property actually lies within the city limits. Your property might be miles beyond the boundary of the city limits and still be identified as "Spokane", since it could still be inside Spokane County. To help you determine if your property is inside Spokane City limits or outside, you can use online search tools to help you.
    • Another easy way to determine your property's location and get access to a tremendous amount of information is using helpful tools on Spokane County's website. Visit Spokane County's site and click the SCOUT Property Dashboard tile. Enter your property address and you will see all the information relevant to your property. When you click each tile you get the contact information for the appropriate agencies and services.
  • Many projects require a permit before you begin work. Learn when you need a permit.
  • Demolitions - All demolition applications whether they are partial demolitions or total demolitions are reviewed by Planning & Development staff. The Historic Preservation Office reviews applications for structures that are 50-years or older AND one of the following criteria: located within the downtown boundary map area, located in a National Register Historic District, or listed on the Spokane Register of Historic Places. Learn more about Demolition Permits (PDF 163 KB)
  • Separate permits are required for plumbing, mechanical (air conditioning and heating), and electrical work. Online permitting is available for licensed contractors.
  • After a building permit is issued, inspections must be performed. Learn about the inspection process.
  • Incomplete applications may not be accepted. All necessary forms and documents must be submitted with the application

Contact Information

DSC & Permit Center

3rd Floor City Hall
808 W Spokane Falls Blvd
Spokane, WA 99201

Walk-in Hours:

  • M/T/TH/F: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • W: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.