North battalion rescue

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Chief, 509.625.7002

Friday, September 6, 2013 at 2:27 p.m.

On September 6th 2013 at 2:27 PM Spokane Fire Department Companies responded to reported smoke venting out an apartment unit of a Triplex at 3908 North Cedar Street. Two neighbors reported hearing the smoke detector sounding in the apartment and visible smoke exiting the windows. They were unsure if the resident was home at the time. The neighbors had attempted to alert potential occupants without success. The first arriving Engine Company gained access through an unlocked window and found the Apartment full of thick black smoke. Firefighters found the occupant unconscious on the couch and rescued him from the apartment. Other companies completed a search for occupants in the other apartments and searched for the source of the smoke. The source turned out to be a burning pot of food on the stove of the involved apartment. There was no fire extension to the apartment and smoke damage only. Regardless of the lack of damage to the apartment unit this was a serious incident due to the amount of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide produced. Due to the sounding smoke detector and the persistence of the neighbors the resident was rescued and expected to make a full recovery. The male patient is at this time being treated at a local hospital for carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide poisoning.

Cause: The cause of the fire was unattended cooking

Damage: Moderate smoke damage to the kitched and light smoke damage to the rest of the affected apartment. No other damage was reported to the other apartment units.

#Firefighters Responding: 19

Dollar Loss: $2000

Other Agencies Responding:AMR Ambulance