Quick Response Limits Fire Damage to Home

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Monday, March 11, 2024 at 2:40 p.m.

Spokane, WA, March 11, 2024– On Sunday, March 10, 2024, at 3:47 p.m., the Spokane Fire Department received a call reporting smoke and fire issuing from a residence in the 2300 block of East Dalke Avenue. Engine 15 promptly arrived at the scene within three minutes and confirmed a fire in the basement of a split-level home. Firefighters from Engine 15 and Quint 13 forced entry into the house and began firefighting and search operations simultaneously. The fire was successfully extinguished within five minutes, and fortunately, no individuals or animals were found inside during the search, and there were no reported injuries to the public or firefighters.

After an investigation by a fire investigator from the Special Investigations Unit, it was determined that the fire originated from a portable heater in a basement bedroom. The heater had been tipped over, likely by a pet belonging to the occupant, causing the futon and other contents of the room to catch fire. While the fire damage was contained to the bedroom, significant smoke damage was evident throughout the rest of the home. The estimated cost of damage amounted to $50,000, but the value of property that firefighters saved was estimated to exceed $350,000.

The Spokane Fire Department wants to remind residents of the importance of safely using portable space heaters. It is crucial to maintain a distance of at least three feet between the heater and any combustible materials, ensure that the heater is placed on a flat surface, avoid positioning it in doorways or areas with high foot traffic, and always switch it off when leaving the room or house and before going to bed.