Tenant Rights and Resources

Don't know your rights as a tenant? Explore affordable housing resources and other information available for you. Learn more about the City's landlord/tenant regulations and rental housing regulations.

Rental Housing Regulations

City of Spokane Regulations for Rental Housing
SMC 10.57

Rental Registry

Landlords renting to tenants in Spokane are required to have a business license and be registered on the City's Rental Registry.

Rental Inspections

The City of Spokane Code Enforcement Department conducts both cause-based and periodic/proactive inspections at long-term rental properties.

Complaints about substandard conditions at rental properties can be submitted using 311. If you're unable to process your request online for any reason, you can also call 311, or 509.755.CITY (2489), from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and they can assist with filling a complaint on your behalf.

Additional Information:

Fair Housing Resources

Find Affordable Housing

Housing and Essential Needs Program

Services include aid with rent and utility payments, personal health and hygiene items, cleaning supplies and bus passes. Contact DSHS at 1-877-501-2233 to find out if you are eligible. If you are already receiving SSI or SSDI or TANF, you will not qualify.

If you are eligible through DSHS, call 509.462.0518 or visit the Goodwill office (130 E. Third Avenue) Monday through Friday: 8 to 11:30 a.m.


Housing | Home Repairs | Utility Assistance/Energy Assistance

SNAP offers multiple programs including various energy assistance programs to help eligible households with heating costs.

Facing eviction?


Related Links