Propane torch sparks accidental fire

Damage contained to exterior of Indian Trail home

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 11:31 p.m.

A homeowner working on piping outside an Indian Trail home with a propane torch accidentally sparked a fire in some leaves that quickly spread to the house Friday afternoon. No one was injured.

A nearby Alternative Response Unit responded to the 3:20 pm call and was on-scene at 3711 W Woodside Avenue in less than five minutes. The ARU met the homeowners, who unsuccessfully attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.

As companies from the full alarm arrived, they extinguished the remaining fire and made entry into the ceilings and attic where the fire may have extended into. The fire was under control within 15 minutes. A neighboring home also suffered minor heat damage. Total damage was estimated at $15,000.