Teen rescued from evening house fire

Faulty air conditioning unit likely cause

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 10:56 a.m.

A faulty air conditioning unit is the likely cause of a fire in northeast Spokane that briefly trapped a teenager inside a house and claimed the life of a dog.

Flames were coming from the rear of the home at 1611 E. Ostrander when firefighters arrived on Monday. Crews helped a teenager from a second story window and found a dog during a search of the home. The teenager was treated on scene for minor injuries before he was released to his family. Attempts to revive the dog were unsuccessful.

The fire was reported at 4:17 pm and declared out approximately 30 minutes later. Fire and smoke damage was estimated at $60,000.

The Red Cross, SCRAPS, the Spokane Police Department and Avista all assisted at the scene.