South Hill family escapes bedroom fire

Working smoke detectors alerted family

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Friday, October 9, 2015 at 12:47 p.m.

Working smoke detectors alerted a South Hill family to a bedroom fire early this morning and helped them escape without serious injury.

The fire began in a bedroom occupied by a toddler, who was rescued by his father. The toddler was evaluated by Spokane Fire Department paramedics on scene and transported to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Firefighters were called to the home at 604 E. Seventh at 5:35 am and arrived within 7 minutes. The home was evacuated prior to the fire department’s arrival and fire crews were able to confine the fire to the bedroom with no extension to other areas of the home. The home did, however, suffer significant smoke damage.

Interviews with the occupants revealed that they were alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke as well as properly installed and functioning smoke detectors. The cause of the fire was determined to be combustibles too close to an electric baseboard heater.

The Spokane Fire Department would like to remind everyone that combustibles too close to heating devices are a frequent cause of residential structure fires. The quick action of a parent alerted to the fire by a properly working smoke detector undoubtedly saved the life of the toddler.