More than 850 Homes Targeted for Fire Safety Campaign

Local Agencies Partner to Promote National Fire Prevention Week – October 7 – 14, 2017

Jamie McIntyre, Community Risk Reduction Manager

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.

More than 850 homes are targeted to receive free Home Fire Safety Visits on October 7 and October 14 as the American Red Cross, Spokane Valley Fire Department (SVFD) and the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) partner to kick-off National Fire Prevention Week, October 7 – 14, 2017.

With the resident’s permission, teams of volunteers will test existing smoke alarms and install new smoke alarms as needed to ensure working smoke alarms are in the right locations throughout each home. Residents will receive information and instructions focused on this year’s National Fire Prevention Week emphasis – “Every Second Counts – Plan Two Ways Out!” In addition, residents will receive a Home Fire Safety Checklist with important information about cooking safety, smoking, heating, electrical safety and more.

Volunteers will visit more than 450 homes in the University (Valley) neighborhood on Saturday, October 7 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and 400 homes in the Garland neighborhood on Saturday, October 14 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

SVFD and SFD analyzed fire department data, demographics, the age of homes in the area, and risk factors including fire fatalities within the last 10 years to identify high risk neighborhoods within service areas. With nearly 60 percent of all home fire fatalities occurring in residences without working smoke alarms, the goal is to prevent residents in these neighborhoods from becoming part of that statistic.

“The Red Cross responds to almost 66,000 disasters across the United States every year, and most of these are home fires,” said Megan Snow, Executive Director of the Greater Inland Northwest Chapter. “Here in the Inland Northwest, we responded to over 200 home fires in 2016. These home fires are devastating for the people involved and are also responsible for a number of deaths and injuries. That is why our partnership with local fire departments during National Fire Prevention Week is so important. We want to help save lives by installing smoke alarms in homes that don’t have them and educating people about home fire safety.”

On Saturday, October 7, approximately 40 volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at SVFD University Fire Station #1, 10319 E. Sprague Avenue, for training. Door-to-door installation will run from 10 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. After a break for lunch, volunteers will continue until all homes have been contacted. Volunteers include many off-duty SVFD firefighters, Red Cross personnel and volunteers, volunteers from PEMCO Insurance and members of the Washington Spokane LDS Mission (Mormon).

The target area for the Spokane Valley campaign is roughly E. Broadway Ave to E. Sprague Ave and N. University Road to N. Mullan Road. The area was selected based on a risk assessment conducted by SVFD personnel as part of the agency’s comprehensive Community Risk Reduction program.

Volunteers will be working in 3-person teams to educate, install and document each visit. A supply of more than 600 smoke alarms is available to volunteers, with 300 units provided by the American Red Cross, 50 units donated by Kidde Fire Safety, and the remaining smoke alarms provided by Spokane Valley Fire Department.

On Saturday, October 14, approximately 30 volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at City Church, 1047 W. Garland Avenue, for training. Door-to-door installation will run until 3pm. After a break for lunch, volunteers will continue until all homes have been contacted. Volunteers include Red Cross personnel and volunteers, students from Eastern Washington University and members of the Washington Spokane LDS Mission (Mormon).

The target area for the Spokane campaign is roughly W. Garland Avenue to W. Glass Avenue and N. Cedar Street to N. Howard Street. The area was selected based on a risk assessment conducted by SFD personnel as part of the department’s Community Risk Reduction program.

Volunteers will be working in 3-person teams to educate, install and document each visit. A supply of more than 400 smoke alarms is available to volunteers, with 300 units provided by the American Red Cross, and the remaining smoke alarms provided by Spokane Fire Department.