Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
At approximately 4:47 AM this morning the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a residential fire in the 3800 Block of East Broad Avenue. Reports to 911 indicated that occupants believed there was a fire in the attic of the home and that the occupants were able to evacuate safely. Fire companies arrived just minutes after dispatch and found heavy smoke coming from the roof and eves of the structure.
Multiple fire companies from SFD and Fire District 9 conducted a successful aggressive and coordinated attack to ensure the fire was contained to the area of origin. The fire was quickly confined and extinguished, preventing the spread to additional parts of the structure. Companies remained on-scene throughout the morning to conduct salvage operations to protect the family's possessions as well as investigate the fire.
The fire was contained and extinguished within 10-minutes of fire companies arriving on the scene. The property and contents are valued at $80,000 and damage due to the fire is estimated at $40,000. No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.
The nature of the fire was determined to be accidental, and the cause was an overloaded electrical circuit.