South Hill Residence Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 11:07 a.m.

Tuesday, Dec. 22, 4:13 PM, the Spokane Fire Department, District 8, and District 1 were dispatched together throughout automatic aid to a reported garage fire in the 1300 Block of South Cuba Street. The first fire company arrived within five minutes and reported heavy fire extending from an attached garage into the residence. The incident was declared a working fire and brought additional resources to the scene to support the incident.

Companies worked together diligently to stop the fire's rapid advancement to the homes' living spaces. Due to the fire's progress and damage, the fire's main body had placed the structure's garage and adjacent areas in danger of collapse. Despite the damage and dangerous conditions, firefighters successfully halted the fire's advance and limited the damage as much as possible. Fire companies remained on-scene for several hours, overhauling the remaining hot spots and salvaging property for the homeowner. 

The fire's nature was determined to be accidental, and the cause was a malfunctioning light ballast in the garage.