Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Monday, January 3, 2022 at 8:30 a.m.
On December 31, 2021, at approximately 10:17 PM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) and automatic aid resources from Spokane Fire District 9 responded to the 2200 E block of Dalke Ave. on a report of a possible house fire. Spokane Engine 15 reported a large column of smoke evident from several blocks out. Once on scene, heavy fire was found coming from one side of the home, with heavy smoke visible from the eave lines and attic vents. The fire was immediately upgraded to ensure Fire Com dispatched additional resources to deal with the expanding incident. Spokane Tower 2 and Engine 15 quickly entered the structure to begin a coordinated fire attack and search of the residence to ensure all occupants were safely out. Simultaneously, crews conducted roof-top ventilation to improve conditions and remove heat from within, and crews were sent to the rear of the structure to protect exposures.
Five occupants had safely evacuated themselves from the structure before SFD's arrival. AMR and Red Cross also responded to the incident. The fire was contained to two rooms and extinguished within 10 minutes after the first engine's arrival. Six fire apparatus along with 20 firefighters responded to fight the fire. No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported, but unfortunately, two pets perished on the scene.
The cause of the fire was determined to be smoking materials left in an outside container close to the structure. There was major fire and smoke damage to a bedroom and kitchen and significant smoke damage throughout the structure.
Educational Message: If you smoke, smoke outside. Be sure to use deep, sturdy ashtrays or metal can if an ashtray is unavailable. Before throwing out cigarette butts, use water or sand to make sure that they are completely out. Do not ash or throw cigarettes in vegetation, potted plants, or directly into trash cans, as these can all easily catch fire. Never smoke in bed. Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials out of reach of children, preferably in a locked area that they do not have access to. Fires have occurred with vaping products, including electronic cigarettes. These devices should be used with caution. Vape products that are charging should be supervised.