Eastside Garage/Modified Living Space Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 1:35 p.m.

On January 20, 2022, Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched at 9:34 PM to a first alarm residential fire in the 2000 Block of East 4th Avenue. SFD and an automatic aid company from Spokane Valley Fire arrived within four minutes to find a detached garage with smoke showing. Once securing a water supply, firefighters entered the garage to discover heavy smoke and heat while searching for victims and the fire's origin. Firefighters found active fire in the overhead framing members and what appeared to be make-shift living quarters. No victims were located, and the fire was extinguished in less than 5-minutes. 

Despite the fire's involvement when the first company arrived, the firefighter's initial actions limited a significant amount of property loss for the owner. Firefighters remained on the scene for two hours providing support, overhaul, and investigative services.

The cause of the fire is an improperly installed wood stove.

*Media - Educational Message: If you have a fireplace or wood-burning stove, be sure to have it installed by a professional and ensure that it complies with the Fire and Building Code. SFD recommends that all chimneys and vents be cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional.