City Details Fourth of July Activities, Closures

Brian Coddington, 509.625.6740

Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 8:23 a.m.

In observance of the Independence Day holiday, Spokane City Hall will be closed on Wednesday, July 4. Parking meters don’t have to be plugged on July 4.

Garbage pickup and curbside recycling will be a day late after the Fourth of July, with pickups normally scheduled for Friday, July 6, occurring on Saturday, July 7.

Here are some additional closures and cancellations:

  • The Waste-to-Energy facility will be closed on Wednesday, July 4.
  • Spokane Municipal Court will be closed Wednesday, July 4.
  • All Spokane Public Library branches will be closed on Wednesday, July 4.
  • The Spokane City Council briefing session and legislative meeting for the week of July 2 have been cancelled. The Council will resume its regular schedule on Monday, July 9, meeting at 3:30 and 6 p.m. in the City Council Chambers in the lower level of City Hall, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. Meetings also are shown live on CityCable 5 and on the City’s website at

Meanwhile, many activities are planned for the holiday. Riverfront Park will host a Fourth of July Celebration starting at 11 a.m. and continuing until the 10 p.m. fireworks show. Activities are in the Clocktower Meadow and Lilac Bowl, featuring musical acts and other entertainment, craft and food vendors, and a beverage garden by No-Li Brewhouse at the Forestry Shelter on north Havermale Island. The Carousel and rollerskating at Skate Ribbon will be available.

City pools, splash pads, and golf courses also are open. For pool and splash pad information call the Aquatics Hotline at 625.6960 or go to the aquatics information on the web. For golf course information, please call Downriver at 327.5269, Esmeralda at 487.6291, Indian Canyon at 747.9317, and The Creek at Qualchan at 448.9317 or visit

Just a reminder: Fireworks are illegal in the City of Spokane, as well as in Spokane County and the cities of Spokane Valley, Cheney, and Liberty Lake. Fireworks fines range from $513 to $1,000 for each infraction. Residents can report violations by calling Crime Check at 456.2233.

Residents can dispose of unwanted fireworks in the household hazardous waste area at the Waste-to-Energy Facility. There is no disposal cost.