Electrical overload causes N. Perry St. house fire

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Monday, November 19, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department's Special Investigation Unit determined Saturday night's N. Perry St. house fire was caused by overheating of an electrical circuit.

At 6:30 p.m., units from the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) responded to the 2800 block of N. Perry St. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within 15 minutes. The structure ultimately sustained fire and heavy smoke damage throughout. One resident was displaced by the fire and was assisted by the Red Cross with lodging for the night. One firefighter sustained a minor injury, but was treated on scene by SFD Paramedics. The firefighter was able to return to duty.

Electrical equipment and appliances in a home carry potential fire risks that can cause significant damage. SFD would like to remind residents to follow a few safety tips:

  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
  • Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time.
  • Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use.
  • Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
  • Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture. Check the sticker on the lamp to determine the maximum wattage light bulb to use.