2019 Street Name Changes
Application/Permit Number: Z19-394STNC
City of Spokane
Notice of Public Hearing with the Plan Commission
There will be a public hearing before the City of Spokane Plan Commission on Wednesday, December 11, 2019, at 4:00 P.M., in the City Council Chambers, Lower Level of City Hall, 808 West Spokane Falls Boulevard, Spokane, Washington. This public hearing is for an application by the City of Spokane for a Street Name Change from the City of Spokane Planning and Development Services Department. This public hearing is to take testimony on the proposed 2019 Street Name Changes proposal by the City of Spokane.
Description of Proposals
- Rename N. Calkins Drive to E. Calkins Drive between E. Cozza Dr. and N. Standard St. Per Current SMC standards, streets names along a curvilinear path should use one consistent prefix direction according to the primary orientation of the roadway.
- Rename W. Cliff Avenue to W. Cliff Drive between S. Monroe St. and S. Grand Ave. This roadway is commonly referred to as Dr, and has been for some time. All of the existing addresses are assigned as Cliff Dr. Updating this roadway to be consistent with the addresses accessed along it and common reference nomenclature will bring this into alignment with current the SMC.
- Rename N. Navaho Drive to an entirely new name altogether, from N. Skyline Drive to N. Wieber Dr. There is an existing Navaho named street (in the same area of Indian Trail) and this roadway name is a duplicate. This will bring the street names into compliance with the current SMC for improvement to dispatch systems and emergency response operations.
- Rename E. Parkwood Dr. to E. Parkwood Cir. These roadways are designated with a street type of Circle (Cir) and reassigning the one segment will bring it into alignment with existing addresses and still meet the SMC definition of a Circle street type.
- Rename S. Rockwood Blvd., between 10th Ave and 11th Ave. to E. Rockwood Blvd. Currently there is one half block assigned with a S. prefix direction between two segments of Rockwood with an E. prefix direction. This is a continuous roadway that currently, in the span of 1 block, changes from E. Rockwood Blvd., to S. Rockwood Blvd., back to E. Rockwood Blvd. This is confusing and unintuitive for emergency responders and the proposed changes would bring the roadways into alignment with the current SMC that curvilinear roadways should not change name or prefix direction.
- Rename E. 18th Ave. between E. Southeast Blvd. and S. Southeast Blvd. to E. and S. Southeast Blvd. (Perry is the logical cutoff here between the S. and E. designations of Southeast Blvd., so one 18th segment should get S. and two 18th segments should get E.). This is a continuous roadway that currently in the span of 4 blocks changes from E. Southeast Blvd., to E. 18th Ave. to S Southeast Blvd. This is confusing and unintuitive for emergency responders and the proposed changes would bring the roadways into alignment with the current SMC that curvilinear roadways should not change name or prefix direction.
- Rename E. St Thomas Moore Way to E. St Thomas More Way. It will bring the streets into confirmation with the SMC by having the same street name and spelling used consistently throughout the City.
- Rename a short segment of Shelby Ridge Street northwest of Summerwood Street in Talon Ridge to Aviara Ct. This will rename the segment in anticipation of the proposed plat coming in to the west.
Public Comment and Project Timeline
Comments from agencies, City departments and the public are due December 11, 2019, at 4:00 P.M. or may be submitted at the Public Hearing.
Following the public hearing, the Plan Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council which will hold a second public hearing. When the date has been scheduled for the City Council public hearing, a second Notice of Public Hearing will be posted and mailed (similar to the first Notice of Public Hearing). This notice will contain the date, time and location of the City Council public hearing. Written comments and oral testimony at both the Plan Commission and City Council public hearings for this proposed action will be made part of the public record.
The official file is available for viewing and copies may be obtained from the City of Spokane Planning and Development Department. Any person may submit written comments regarding the street name change or request additional information by contacting the Planning and Development Department at 808 W. Spokane Blvd., Spokane, WA 99201, open weekdays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.