Cooking fire injures one

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Chief, 509.625.7002

Monday, February 17, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

Incident #: 2014008468

Issuing Officer: Bruce Moline/Battalion Chief

Narrative: Monday, February 17th, 2014 at 12:04 p.m. the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of a fire in a basement located at 1827 W. 9th. Fire crews found a kitchen fire burning in a basement apartment unit that was spreading up the walls and towards the main level of the apartment complex. An occupant of the basement apartment unit was cooking on the stove when the fire grew out of control and spread to nearby walls. She received second degree burns to her face and was treated by Spokane Fire Department paramedics and firefighters.

The fire was knocked down quickly and, as a result, the fire was confined to the basement apartment unit including some of the wooden porch immediately above. Crews spent time performing overhaul work making sure every sign of fire was thoroughly extinguished.

Cooking fires are relatively common in the city of Spokane, and the Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be attentive while cooking, have an extinguisher nearby and make sure your smoke detectors are in working order. The Red Cross was notified to provide guidance and assistance to the tenant. AMR ambulance assisted at the scene as well, as did Avista with natural gas and electrical concerns.

Cause: Fire escaped a container on the stove while cooking.

Damage: Fire damage to the adjacent walls in the kitchen area including immediate porch area above apartment unit. Fire damage to venting system and fan. Some smoke damage in the kitchen area.

# Firefighters Responding: 22

Dollar Loss: $8,000

Other Agencies Responding: AMR ambulance, Avista, American Red Cross.