Faulty chimney sparks house fire

No one injured in Tuesday evening blaze

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Chief, 509.625.7002

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at Midnight

No one was injured Tuesday evening by a fire caused by the faulty chimney of a wood burning stove in northwest Spokane.

Fire spread into an exterior wall during the 6 pm blaze at 2827 W. Wellesley. The home’s occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived. Wellesley was shut down for approximately two hours by the fire.

Damage, which was estimated at $7,000, was limited to the exterior wall and ceiling surrounding the chimney. The rest of the home suffered light smoke damage.