Working smoke detector alerts homeowner to fire

Reminder to change your batteries this weekend with your clocks

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Chief, 509.625.7002

Saturday, March 7, 2015 at Midnight

Firefighters contained a fire started by food left cooking unattended to the kitchen of a northeast Spokane home Friday night. The home’s lone occupant escaped without injury.

The fire started about 7:30 pm when the homeowner left the kitchen to take a phone call and was extinguished about 10 minutes after firefighter arrived.Smoke damaged additional rooms throughout the home in the 2500 block of N. Upriver Ct.

A working smoke detector alerted the homeowner to the fire and prevented her from potential injury, according to firefighters.

Damage was estimated at $20,000.

The Spokane Fire Department reminds people to change the batteries in their smoke detectors this weekend when they change their clocks.