One escapes injury in kitchen grease fire

Fire quickly contained and extinguished

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Friday, June 19, 2015 at 8:35 a.m.

Cooking grease on a stove ignited and caused a kitchen fire in a single-family home late yesterday that spread smoke throughout the structure. No one was injured.

The home located in the 1200 block on E. Illinois Ave. sustained fire and smoke damage to the entire kitchen area. Six fire trucks and 21 firefighters responded and quickly contained and extinguished the fire.

One occupant and pets were home at the time of the fire, but escaped unharmed. Damage was estimated at $10,000.