Attic fires damage two homes

Electrical causes reported in both fires

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Monday, June 29, 2015 at 11:42 a.m.

Electrical malfunctions started attic fires in two homes late Sunday causing more than $10,000 in damage to each house. No one was injured in either fire.

Firefighters cut through wired lath in the ceiling to contain a fire at 1218 E. Walton to an attic space above the kitchen area. The fire was reported at 8:36 pm, and all of the occupants of the home were out when firefighters arrived.

An area of approximately 4 feet by 4 feet was on fire and it appears that this fire’s cause was due to electrical wiring and a kitchen ceiling fan. Engine 2, responding from an earlier fire on E. Illinois Ave., was the first on scene. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

The fire at 2601 E. Illinois, reported at 6:27 pm, was also in the attic. This fire also appears to be electrical in nature and caused an estimated $25,000 in heavy damage to the attic and smoke damage.

Many fire crews responded to both fires and were assisted by a fire department Rehab Unit to help them combat fatigue and exposure conditions in the extreme heat. No injuries were reported at either fire.

The Spokane Police Department and the American Red Cross assisted at the scenes.