Cellphone charger ignites apartment fire

No one injured, four tenants displaced

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 1 p.m.

A ceramic resister in a cellphone charger overheated and started a fire at an apartment building on the lower South Hill. At least four tenants were displaced, but no one was injured. However, two cats perished in the fire.

Firefighters found a ground level unit well involved with flames, which were threatening the second and third levels of the Madison Terrace Apartments, 1107 S. Madison. Crews quickly knocked down the fire, which was reported at 10:44 am on Monday, and kept it contained to the ground floor. Smoke damage was reported in the units directly above the main floor.

At the same time, searches were conducted to ensure all occupants were accounted for. A total of 26 firefighters responded on this fire, which included a company from Fire District 8 and a company from the Spokane Valley Fire Department as part of a mutual aid agreement.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the occupants in making arrangements for accommodations, food and clothing.