Vehicle block heater causes South Hill fire

No one injured, damage estimated at $90,000

Brian Schaeffer, Assistant Fire Chief, 509.625.7002

Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 8:45 a.m.

A fire started by a vehicle block heater in a garage significantly damaged a South Hill home. No one was injured, but damage was estimated at $90,000.

Spokane Fire Department firefighters were called to the home at 2704 E. 38th Ave. just before 11 pm on Tuesday. The garage was fully involved with fire, which had extended into the main residence.

The residents were not able to return to the home due to the damage to a large portion of the house and the entire garage. Crews from the Spokane Valley Fire Department and Fire District 8 also responded to the call.