Unattended cooking materials cause house fire

No injuries reported

AC Brian Schaeffer #509-625-7002

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 1:19 p.m.

Investigators with the Spokane Fire Department Special Investigation Unit say yesterday’s house fire in the 600 block of S. Ralph St. was the result of unattended cooking materials left on the stove.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking is the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. In addition, the leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. The Spokane Fire Department would like to remind community members to never leave cooking materials on a stove unattended and to always follow the below tips to help prevent cooking fires.

Fire crews were dispatched at 2:39 p.m. to a report of an appliance fire. The first arriving crew found an active kitchen fire that had extended into a wall. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire within 15 minutes and limit the fire from spreading further. Crews remained on scene to complete overhaul tasks which included checking for any remaining hotspots with thermal cameras and reducing water and smoke damage.

The two occupants of the home were able to make their way to safety after attempting to extinguish the fire. There were no reported injuries to the occupants or firefighters.

Safety Tips:

What you should know:

  • Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food.
  • If you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.

If you have a cooking fire:

  • Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
  • Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
  • If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.