Fire Department News Releases for November 2016

Nov. 30

Spokane Fire Department investigating arson fire

12:46 p.m. - The Spokane Fire Department is actively investigating the commercial building fire that occurred at 823 W. Riverside Ave. on Saturday, November 26.

Nov. 29

Two families displaced after evening fire

6:35 a.m. - Two families (3 adults, 2 children and 1 dog) were displaced last night after a fire caused heavy damage to an upper level duplex unit.

Nov. 23

SFD warns hot oil turkey fryers pose a significant risk

12:31 p.m. - The Spokane Fire Department (SFD) wants residents to be aware of the number of safety risks associated with frying their Thanksgiving turkeys.

Nov. 22

Natural leak prompts evacuation at Safeway on E. Mission

6:10 p.m. - At 5:47 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of a natural gas leak at the Safeway Grocery Store located at 933 E. Mission Ave.

Nov. 16

Firefighter from Spokane Fire Department receives national recognition

11:54 a.m. - During the 2016 International Technical Rescue Symposium, Spokane Fire Department (SFD) firefighter Mike Forbes received a prestigious award.

Nov. 12

More than 3 dozen at House of Charity showing signs of viral infection

4:45 p.m. - More than three dozen overnight guests and staff at the House of Charity are showing symptoms of a viral infection.

Nov. 9

Fire at North Central High School ruled accidental

12:41 p.m. - Just before 10 a.m., crews from the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of smoke coming from the roof of North Central High School.

Nov. 7

Williams to retire as Spokane Fire Chief

9 a.m. - Spokane Fire Chief Bobby Williams is retiring in January after leading the department for 28 years.

Nov. 3

Don’t forget to change batteries in smoke alarms!

2:21 p.m. - With the upcoming time change, SFD says it’s a good easy reminder when changing clocks to replace the batteries in smoke alarms.

Nov. 2

Unattended cooking materials cause house fire

1:19 p.m. - Investigators with the SFD's Special Investigation Unit say yesterday’s house fire was the result of unattended cooking materials left on the stove.