Natural leak prompts evacuation at Safeway on E. Mission

No injuries reported

AC Brian Schaeffer #509-625-7002

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 6:10 p.m.

At 5:47 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of a natural gas leak at the Safeway Grocery Store located at 933 E. Mission Ave.

Employees of the grocery store reported smelling natural gas and immediately called 9-1-1. Upon arrival, fire crews safely evacuated approximately 30 to 40 individuals. Firefighters were able to shut-off the gas supply and begin ventilating the structure.

Using gas monitoring equipment, firefighters worked in collaborating with Avista to systematically check the structure to pinpoint the location of the gas source. The investigation found a leaking joint in one of the supply lines to the heating system. The line was isolated and a private contractor will be brought in for repairs. Once fire crews determined there were no longer any readings on the gas monitoring equipment, those evacuated were able to return to the grocery store.

The Spokane Fire Department would like to remind everyone that if you suspect a natural gas leak or other gas emergency to immediately evacuate and call 9-1-1 from a safe location.