Spokane Fire Department investigating arson fire
Community urged to call Arson Alarm Hotline if they have information
AC Brian Schaeffer #509-625-7002
Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 12:46 p.m.
The Spokane Fire Department is actively investigating the commercial building fire that occurred at 823 W. Riverside Ave. on Saturday, November 26. The cause of the fire has been determined to be arson.
Fire investigators are urging community members to please report any information they believe may be related to arson to the Arson Alarm Hotline at 1-800-55-ARSON (27766). A reward may be provided for information resulting in an arson conviction. Persons providing information may remain anonymous.
There are a number of preventative measures that can help prevent arson fires, including:
- Securing home, businesses and garage areas by locking doors and windows.
- Cleaning up wastepaper, grasses, weeds, litter, or anything that can burn from around buildings.
- Clearing carport areas of anything that could fuel a fire.
- Locating dumpsters, recycle bins and yard waste containers at least 5 feet away from combustible walls and roof eave lines. If possible, keep them in a secured area. Do not allow them to become overfilled.
- Trimming shrubbery from doors and windows to improve visibility.
- Installing motion-sensor exterior lights or consider leaving lights on during hours of darkness.
The Spokane Fire Department also wants to remind residents to:
- Test all of smoke alarms on the first day of every month to make sure they are still working.
- Have a fire escape plan for all family members. Be sure it includes knowing all the exits and a designated meeting place.
- If you have a fire extinguisher, know where it is located and how to use it.
- If there is a fire, remember to evacuate first then call 9-1-1 from a safe location.