Improperly installed wood stove determined to be the cause of Hillyard house fire

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Friday, January 26, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.

At 10:49 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a possible chimney fire in the 1600 block of E. Walton Ave. SFD crews arrived within minutes to find smoke and fire from a chimney chase on the exterior of a residence.

The first arriving crew immediately called for additional SFD resources, confirmed the home had been evacuated and extinguished the fire.

Due to the early transmission of alarm, rapid response of resources and swift actions by crews, the fire was contained to the exterior of the structure.

The cause of the fire was investigated by the SFD Special Investigation Unit and determined to be an improperly maintained wood burning stove.

The SFD would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of the importance of having heating appliances properly maintained and regularly inspected by licensed professionals.