Second house fire in week caused by unattended cooking

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Friday, August 17, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department's Special Investigation Unit say unattended cooking caused this morning’s house fire in the 2200 block of E. Pacific Ave. This is the second house fire caused by unattended cooking in a week within the city.

At approximately 3:20 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of a house. Fire companies arrived to find a one-and-a-half story house well-involved, but were able to rapidly suppress the fire and prevent any threat to adjacent structures. The fire caused significant damage throughout the home.

Two occupants and one dog exited the structure safely and without injury. The American Red Cross responded to assist them.

The Spokane Fire Department wants to remind residents of the importance of following these safety tips when cooking:

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food.
  • If you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.
  • Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop

If you have a cooking fire:

  • Get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
  • Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.