Cause of N. Ruby St. house fire ruled accidental

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Monday, October 1, 2018 at 5:26 p.m.

The cause of a fire that damaged a home in the 1600 block of N. Ruby St. on Thursday has been ruled accidental.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department’s Special Investigation Unit say a box of items was placed on a stovetop, the knob to the stove was unintentionally bumped turning it on and the box of items ignited. The fire spread throughout the kitchen and through a window to the exterior of the home.

The home was not occupied at the time fire, but a family was in the process of moving into the house. The fire caused damage to the first and second floor and smoke damage throughout the home.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters.