Chimney fire spreads to attic in N. Altamont home

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:32 a.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department Special Investigation Unit determined a chimney fire that spread to an attic caused Tuesday’s house fire.

At approximately 2 p.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to the 700 block of N. Altamont St. after neighbors noticed the fire and alerted the two occupants of the home. Both residents were able to safely evacuate.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and keep it from spreading further. The 1-1/2 story home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage.

With the colder temperatures, the Spokane Fire Department wants to remind residents to follow important safety tips when keeping warm:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.