Fire caused by keeping combustibles too close to wood stove

Fire caused by keeping combustibles too close to wood stove

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 4:23 p.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department’s Special Investigation Unit advise today’s house fire on N. Seminole Dr. was a result of a wood stove vent pipe being too close to combustibles.

At 9:52 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department along with Spokane Fire District 9 responded to a reported house fire in the 9600 block of N. Seminole Dr. Upon arrival, firefighters reported smoke and fire coming from the roof of the single-story residence. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire. The roof of the home received extensive damage as a result of the fire.

There were no reported injuries.

With the colder temperatures, the Spokane Fire Department stresses the importance of following these safety tips:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
  • Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.