Improperly vented pellet stove determined to be cause of house fire

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Friday, December 14, 2018 at 8:32 a.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department’s Special Investigation Unit determined Wednesday evening’s house fire on E. Riverside Ave. was caused by an improperly vented pellet stove. Investigators advise gaps and cracks in the chimney allowed for the escape of heat currents into the attic, igniting insulation and wood framing.

One resident was displaced as a result of the fire.

Just after at 6:00 p.m., units from the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) with assistance from the Spokane Valley Fire Department were dispatched to the 2300 block of E. Riverside Ave. for the house fire.

Fire Department crews arrived within minutes and found a single story, single-family home with smoke and fire coming from the gable end vents. Witnessing the pressurized smoke and fire was an indication to firefighters that there was a growing fire located in the attic space. Firefighters upgraded the fire to a "working" incident which brought them additional apparatus to assist with fighting the fire. Firefighters made a rapid search of the interior and determined the residence was unoccupied.

The structure ultimately sustained fire and heavy smoke damage throughout.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters.