Vapor Explosion Sends Two to the Hospital

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 12:37 p.m.

At 9:45 AM this morning, a first alarm response was dispatched to a residential fire in the 900 East Block of 29th Avenue. The first company arrived within four minutes and found an extinguished fire in an attached garage. Firefighters located and removed two injured victims from a flash fire that resulted from a vapor explosion inside the garage. Occupants discharged readily available fire extinguishers to extinguish the remaining flames.

SFD Paramedics began treating their injuries on the scene, reported as minor, and transported two occupants to a local hospital. The fire's nature was accidental and caused by a propane heater that ignited vapors from nearby gas cans. 

The SFD reminds our community to store flammable liquids in approved containers and free of ignition sources. Flammable liquids should be stored in well-ventilated areas to reduce the possibility of vapor concentrations.