Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Monday, May 17, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
Friday, May 14, just after 9:00 AM, Spokane Fire Department (SFD) companies responded to a reported house fire in the 6000 block of North Oak Street. The first-arriving company reported light smoke showing from the rear of a single-story, single-family dwelling. Firefighters located the fire in the basement and made an aggressive fire attack, limiting fire damage to the room of origin. Simultaneously, companies searched the building for occupants and ventilated the structure to remove smoke and dangerous gasses. There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians as a result of this incident. Damage due to the fire is moderate as contained to the floor of origin.
The nature of the fire is accidental, and the cause was a lithium-ion battery that overheated while being charged. The battery subsequently ignited combustibles that were resting on top of the device.
The SFD reminds our community to keep combustible materials clear from charging batteries (including routine devices such as laptops or children's toys). Lastly, remember that homes should have operating smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and collapsable ladders if bedrooms are above one story in height.