Council To Seek Applicants to Fill Upcoming City Council Vacancy
Hannahlee Allers, 509.625.6714
Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 9:17 a.m.
The recent election of Breean Beggs to the office of Council President created a vacancy on the City Council, representing District 2, Position 2.
Council Rules and Procedures (Section 8 of the City Charter and Section 10) outline the process that will be used to fill the resulting vacancy. The City Council will appoint a replacement with the following timeline:
- Dec. 12: Public announcement of the future vacancy and the date for the opening of the application period. Applications will be available on the City’s website, the City Council offices (7th Floor, City Hall), and at the MySpokane service desk (1st Floor, City Hall).
- Dec. 31: Applications for appointment to the vacant Council position must be received by the City Clerk’s office no later than noon.
- Jan. 13: The City Council intends to conduct interviews of four to six applicants. All interviews shall be conducted by the entire City Council during a publicly noticed Council meeting and shall be open to the public.
- Jan. 13: The City Council may hold an executive session for the purpose of evaluating the qualifications for potential appointees to elective office, pursuant to RCW 42.30.110(1)(h) and Council Rule of Procedure 10.1.
- Jan. 13: The City Council intends to vote, in open session, to fill the Council vacancy.
Applicants for this Council position must have lived in City Council District 2 since at least Jan. 13, 2019.