Lots of ways to celebrate MLK Day in 2017!
Marlene Feist, City of Spokane Public Works & Utilities
Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
City of Spokane elected officials and employees will take part in the annual Unity March and other events in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, Jan. 16. We invite others to join us in this celebration and in other events in Spokane in honor of this important day.
Here are details for a number of MLK Day events in Spokane:
- Saturday, Jan. 7, 9 to 10:30 a.m.– Prayer Breakfast, Gonzaga University, Hemmingson Center Grand Ballroom, 730 E. Desmet Ave. Cost is $25. For information or tickets, call (509) 455-8722 or go to www.mlkspokane.org.
- Thursday, Jan. 12 – Children’s Program Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Works, Lake City Community Church, 6000 N. Ramsey Road, Coeur d’Alene. Call (208) 765-3932 for information or visit http://www.idahohumanrights.org.
- Sunday, Jan. 15, 4 to 6 p.m. – Martin Luther King Jr. Sunday Remembrance Celebration, Morning Star Baptist Church, 3909 W Rowan Ave. Free event is hosted by the Martin Luther King Jr Outreach Center. For information, call 455-8722 or go to www.mlkspokane.org.
- Sunday, Jan. 15, 7 p.m. – “I Have A Dream: A Celebration of Freedom” community event, Spokane Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 1620 E. 29th Ave. Free event includes comments on freedom by Mayor David Condon and Spokane Police Chief Craig Meidl, and features the Rev. Percy “Happy” Watkins delivering Dr. King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech. For information, go to http://spokanefavs.com/event/i-have-a-dream-a-celebration-of-freedom/.
- Monday, Jan. 16, 10 a.m. - Rally at Spokane Convention Center, 344 W. Spokane Falls Blvd., followed by the Unity March through downtown. For information, call 455-8722 or go to www.mlkspokane.org.
- Monday, Jan. 16, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Community Resource Fair, Spokane Convention Center, Exhibit Hall B. For information, call 455-8722 or go to www.mlkspokane.org.
- Monday, Jan. 16, noon to 1 p.m. – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Celebration at Holy Family Hospital, 5633 N. Lidgerwood St. Free event featuring the Rev. Percy “Happy” Watkins delivering Dr. King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech from 1963. Music and refreshments. For information, call (509) 474-3081.
- Monday, Jan. 16, 3 to 4 p.m. – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Celebration at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, 101 W. 8th Ave. Free event featuring the Rev. Percy “Happy” Watkins delivering Dr. King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech from 1963. Music and refreshments. For information, call 509.474.3081.
Citizens throughout Spokane and the nation are committed to making Martin Luther King Jr. Day a day of service to the community—“A Day On, Not a Day Off.” To sign up for volunteer and service opportunities, go to www.volunteerspokane.org.
Students at Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga University, Washington State University Spokane, and Whitworth University should check their school web sites. Another option is to go to www.mlkday.gov for information on how you can plan a service project or get involved.
Spokane City Hall, Spokane Municipal Court, and Spokane Public Library branches are closed on Monday, Jan. 16, in recognition of MLK Day. City parking meters don’t have to be plugged on that day.
@spokanecity - Today at 5:01 p.m. - Tomorrow we'll resume yard/food waste collection. You can put food scraps & food-soiled paper in these green carts!… https://t.co/JZLlC5jo5o
@spokaneparks - Today at 1:07 p.m. - It may not look like it, but spring is just around the corner! See what activities we have coming up after the thaw! https://t.co/hz71vM9IIP
@spokanefire - Today at 12:02 p.m. - Incident: 2017012296 - Structure Fire - Single Engine Location: N Monroe St and W Sinto Ave
@sporiverfrontpk - Today at 11:01 a.m. - Today is the day! Last chance to skate at the Ice Palace before the new rink opens this fall. Open today until 4:45… https://t.co/E2PmAexXET
@spd_ombudsman - Yesterday at 6:37 p.m. - Spokane Police Ombudsman Commission will be in the Community this Tuesday evening! Please join us @ 5:30pm @ West Central Community Center.
@spokane_council - Feb. 22 at 11:02 a.m. - There will be no Study Session on Thursday.
@spokanepd - Feb. 9 at 1:36 a.m. - SPD issuing warning about treacherous driving conditions https://t.co/wO3oEigXE1
@spourbanforest - Nov. 1 at 1:39 p.m. - New podcast, Remarkable Objects, launched by @rethinktrees, Listen in to people and ideas advancing out thinking about nature in cities.