Potential Concealed Pistol License Scams

Sgt. Terry Preuninger, PIO

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.

The Spokane City Police Department and Spokane County Sheriff’s Office want to make you aware of some inaccurate information and potential scams, regarding the obtaining of a valid Washington Concealed Pistol License, (CPL).   A simple internet search on how to obtain a CPL will take you to web sites that indicate you can receive a license on line, after answering a few questions and paying a fee through the web site.  

However, the only way to obtain a valid CPL in Spokane County is through the Spokane Records Division, and the directions for this process are explained below.

If you enter the phrase, “Washington State Concealed Pistol License”, (or something similar) into some of the more common search engines, you will be given a list of online resources.  While some of those listed resources are valid, (like the Washington Department of Licensing),   many are not. 

In some searches the first two or three options that pop up are sites that will offer you a “valid” pistol license for use in Washington or other states.  While there are multiple sites offering this service the Police Department and Sheriff’s Office want you to be aware licenses offered through those sites are not recognized by, or valid in, the state of Washington.    

In fact the only way to obtain a valid Washington state CPL (Concealed Pistol License) in Spokane County is through the Spokane City / County records division.  

Whether you live in the city of Spokane, any of the other incorporated municipalities or anywhere in Spokane County, that process begins by visiting the Spokane Police Department’s website: https://my.spokanecity.org/police/information/ From this site, you will be able to complete your application and make an appointment for your fingerprinting.

Please be aware that due to a large influx of applications this year combined with the Covid-19 Pandemic there is a wait once you initiate the process.  Currently there are thousands of applications pending and the records division is months out on appointments.  We are processing them as soon as we can, however we recognize the inconvenience and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Contact Police

For in progress crimes and emergencies call 911

To report a non-emergent crime contact:

To provide crime activity or suspect information that doesn't require immediate action contact:

For general police email contact:

For nuisance reports, including code violations (i.e. illegal camping, substantial litter in yards or alleys, graffiti, land use violations), parking complaints, and road condition issues contact:

Media Relations Contact

Julie Humphreys