Working smoke detector alerts sleeping occupant

No reported injuries, Cause of fire determined to be electrical

AC Brian Schaeffer #509-625-7002

Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:09 a.m.

Early this morning at 4:12 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department along with Spokane County Fire District 8 responded to the 3500 block of E. 48th Court for a reported residential structure fire. Once crews arrived on scene they found the home filled with smoke and fire originating from the bathroom.

Firefighters quickly surrounded the residence to assess the fire and investigate spaces where it may have extended. Crews also exposed the ceiling and were able to locate the fire inside an electrical fan. Firefighters rapidly extinguished the fire, successfully keeping it from spreading and causing further damage.

Due to a properly operating smoke detector that woke her up, the resident was able to safely escape her home and call 9-1-1.

The fire caused damage to the ceiling fan, wiring, ventilation hose and to a nearby ceiling joist. The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in origin.

The Spokane Fire Department would like to remind every resident of the importance of having working smoke detectors in their home and the importance of maintaining those detectors to ensure they are in good working order. Two out of every three fire deaths in the United States occur in homes without working smoke detectors. For more information about smoke detectors, visit the Spokane Fire Department’s website.