Attic Fire Strikes Home in Logan Neighborhood

No reported injuries, Cause of fire determined to be electrical

AC Brian Schaeffer #509-625-7002

Monday, August 15, 2016 at 5:49 a.m.

Last night just before 9 p.m. the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) responded to the 1600 block of E. Marietta Ave. for a reported residential structure fire.

Occupants arrived home to find their house filled with smoke and quickly evacuated before calling 9-1-1 to report the fire.

Firefighters from SFD Station #2 were first to arrive, and reported fire present inside the attic of the single story residence. In order to quickly access the fire, crews were forced to remove the sheet rock and insulation that covered the living room ceiling. Once they exposed the burning framing members inside the attic, firefighters quickly extinguished the flames preventing the fire from spreading throughout the home.

Thankfully there were no injuries, however the two adults and one child that reside in the home were unable to occupy the residence following the fire. A representative for the owner was on site and able to assist the occupants and the firefighters with securing the home.

The fire caused moderate damage to the roof framing, electrical wiring and sheet rock above the front room. It was determined the home’s electrical wiring contributed to the cause of the fire.