Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager
Friday, November 30, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
Heating is the second leading cause of U.S. home fires, deaths and injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association, December, January and February are the peak months for heating fires.
“As we head into December and our snow season, we want residents to make sure their fresh air intake and exhaust pipes are free of snow and shrubs,” says Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer. “A blocked exhaust vent or appliance vent, such as a dryer vent, could result in carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s important for everyone to check their vents frequently during periods of heavy or blowing snow.”
Carbon monoxide (CO) is called the “invisible killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the U.S. die every year from accidental CO poisoning from generators or fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fire places.
The Spokane Fire Department stresses the importance of having functioning carbon monoxide alarms inside your home to provide an early warning of increasing CO levels. These alarms should be placed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. If the alarm goes off, or you think you may have CO in your home, leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1.
Other important fire safety tips to remember include: