RV a total loss after morning fire

No injuries were reported

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 12:29 p.m.

At approximately 8 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) responded to the 1900 block of W. Grace Ave. for a building fire reported from a passerby. First crews arriving on scene discovered a recreational vehicle (RV) behind an address fully engulfed in fire.

Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire in approximately three minutes and keep it from spreading to an adjacent garage. Reports from tenants inside the residence indicated there was a person living in the RV. Firefighters made entry into the RV and found it to be unoccupied. It was later discovered that the RV tenant was away from the area at the time of the fire.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries from the incident.

The RV was a total loss. The fire is currently under investigation by members of the SFD Special Investigation Unit, however, early signs point to an unattended space heater as the possible cause.

SFD urges citizens to be extremely cautious with the use of space heaters, especially during the cold season where they can be in use for extended periods of time. Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. Candles and other sources of ignition should never be left unattended either.

Other important fire safety tips to remember include:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Have furnaces and hot water heater professionally checked every year.
  • Install smoke alarms inside each bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
  • Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.