Early Sunday Morning Logan Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Monday, January 4, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.

Sunday at around 01:20 AM, Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to the 1200 block of E. Illinois for a reported house fire.

Occupants were reported still inside the structure, including a juvenile. The first company arrived within four minutes and found a 1 ½ story house with heavy fire from the first floor.

SFD crews began an aggressive fire attack and search. Six victims were either able to self-evacuate or were rescued by SFD crews.

The fire was quickly placed under control while search and ventilation efforts continued.  One minor was found in a first floor bathroom and was transported to an area hospital in critical condition. Four adults were transported with non-life threatening injuries. One adult refused transport.

SFD fire investigation unit determined the fire to be accidental in nature. The cause was combustible items too close to a working fireplace. Smoke detectors were reported to be present and working. Total loss is estimated at approximately $100,000.

SFD would like to remind everyone that smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms give you early warning so, you can get outside quickly.

  • A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home.
  • Test all smoke alarms once a month
  • Replace all alarms when they are 10 years old