West Princeton House Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8:36 a.m.

On Wednesday, April 20th, at 12:30 AM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at the 4000 block of West Princeton Ave.  

The first company arrived within 3-minutes and found heavy smoke coming from the front door and upgraded the incident to a working fire. One resident was quickly rescued from the heat and smoke and was treated by on scene fire crews.  

Multiple companies quickly arrived on the scene and worked rapidly to extinguish the fire and conduct a thorough search of the residence for any other potential victims. Firefighters successfully limited the damage from the fire to the area of origin with limited extension into other parts of the structure.

After an exhaustive search, no further victims were located. One resident was treated for smoke inhalation and other minor injuries by fire crews and AMR. The Red Cross was called to provide assistance for the displaced residents of the home.

No firefighters were injured. The fire remains under investigation by the SFD Special Investigations Unit.

Educational Message for Media: 

Electrical work should be done only by a qualified professional. If you are having recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers, experiencing a tingling feeling when you touch an electric appliance, or have flickering lights, call a qualified professional. Major appliances (such as refrigerators, stoves, washing machines, dryers, window air conditioning units, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Extension cords should not be used for major appliances, as they can easily overheat and start a fire. Small appliances should be plugged directly into wall outlets when in use and unplugged when not in use. Wall outlets and light switches should be covered with plates to prevent shocks. Replace wall outlets if plugs-ins do not fit snugly in the outlet. Only buy appliances and other electronics that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. This is especially important to be mindful of when shopping online. Be sure to check electrical cords often. Cords that are cracked, damaged, or loose should be replaced.