Man Rescued in Hillyard Detached Garage Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.

On Thursday, April 21st, at approximately 07:30 AM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a reported detached garage fire on the 1700 block of East Dalton Ave.

Crews from the Logan neighborhood fire station arrived on scene within a few minutes to find a small detached garage with smoke coming out of the eves. Crews quickly gained access and found a male sleeping inside. The victim was rescued from the building and treated for smoke inhalation. Due to the rapid intervention of fire crews, the patient was able to be treated on scene and released with no transport to the hospital.

Concurrently, an aggressive fire attack was made and the fire was put out within a few minutes of arrival with minimal damage to the garage. An additional search of the structure was conducted to ensure there were no other victims and was declared all clear.

No firefighters were injured. The incident remains under investigation by the SFD Special Investigations Unit.

Educational Message for Media:

If you have a fireplace, or wood-burning stove, be sure to only burn dry, seasoned wood. Newspaper and kindling can be used to start a fire. Avoid using garbage or flammable liquids, as these can produce hazardous vapors and cause build up in chimneys, which could result in an uncontrolled fire. Chimneys and vents should be cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional once a year. Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace, and keep it in place. Be sure to keep doors of wood-burning stoves closed, as well. These screens and doors can remain hot for hours after a fire goes out, so be careful not to touch them. Be sure to keep children and pets 3 feet away from your fireplace or wood-burning stove. If your fireplace is electric, be sure to keep “on” switches and remotes out of the reach of children.