Morning Residential Fire, Adult Burn Victim

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.

On Thursday, May 26, 2022, at 6:54 AM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to the 800 Block of East 33rd Avenue to a report of smoke coming from a neighbor's door. After a closer investigation, the attentive neighbor confirmed that the kitchen was on fire and the sole occupant was injured.

Several fire companies were in quarters re-supplying or en route to quarters following the morning's multiple incidents and responded quickly. Firefighters arrived to find a working fire in the kitchen of the home. The fire was extinguished promptly with efforts from the first arriving companies. They were able to overhaul the area, removing debris and material to confirm that the fire's extension was thwarted.

It was determined later that the occupant successfully discharged a fire extinguisher in an attempt to control the fire. However, the burning of ordinary combustibles (Class A) and grease (Class B) intensified and spread quickly. The fire did moderate damage to the kitchen and the occupant received significant burns. 

The victim was treated by SFD Paramedics and transported to a local hospital for definitive treatment. The cause of the fire involved a cooking process.