Downtown Kitchen Fire Quickly Extinguished

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Monday, March 20, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.

Units from the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) were dispatched at 11:28 AM on March 10, 2023, following an alarm activation at an apartment building in the 200 block of West Riverside Ave. An employee from a first-floor restaurant who noticed the smell of smoke emanating from the apartment above reported the incident.

Upon arrival, SFD engine and ladder crews quickly assessed the situation and upgraded the incident to a commercial fire. Firefighters were able to swiftly locate and extinguish a kitchen fire in one of the apartments. Simultaneously, a thorough search for occupants was conducted across all three floors of the building, ensuring everyone's safety.

Thankfully, no injuries were reported among firefighters or occupants of the building. However, the incident resulted in smoke damage to apartments on the second and third floors and water damage to the restaurant below.

The SFD would like to commend the quick actions of the restaurant employee who reported the fire, as well as the timely and efficient response of the fire crews. These actions prevented the fire from escalating, causing more severe damage or potential injuries.

The fire is still under investigation by the SFD Special Investigation Unit (SIU.)

30 firefighters and two AMR units responded to the scene.

The SFD would also like to remind the public of the importance of having working smoke alarms in their residences and never leaving cooking unattended. Regularly practicing fire safety measures can significantly reduce the risk of fires and help protect lives and property.